Thursday, December 8, 2011

How I Roll


I get pretty vocal about those issues that I care about, and I can be pretty insistent and irritating about it to those around me. Now, since I'm about to write my first post about anything weightier than me going barefoot in my day to day life, I'm going to put down a couple tenets of my style of argument.

  1. We cannot agree to disagree. People take this stance to avoid unpleasantness, but to me that is a cowardly cop out and the same as saying that your ideals are nothing more than an intellectual exercise. If the issue is important enough for me to argue about it, then it is something that affects our lives. And if it affects my life, and I think you are wrong about the issue, than it is imperative to me that I somehow change your mind. 
  2. Everyone thinks they are right. I can't stand it when people say to me, "You always think you're right!" Don't you? Who the hell doesn't? Who on this Earth opens their mouth and says things they think are wrong? I can be convinced I was wrong, but bring your A game, because I'm stubborn and I think before I speak or write.
  3. I like to argue. I tend to get caught up in the competition of it all, so sometimes I need a reality check, feel free to give it in the comments. My ego should come second to the truth, but it doesn't always. 
Feel free to refer back to this post if you feel tempted to type the phrase, "Let's agree to disagree," or "You always think you're right." 

No comments:

Post a Comment